EDF's Transmission Network Engineering division is a global, agile player that relies on 5 key skills.
Our comprehensive consulting expertise and technical know-how allow us to support our clients on the African continent.
5 Key Technical Skills
1 • Electrical System
"With the same exacting standards that we apply to our own structures and full independence from our suppliers, the EDF Group supports your transmission network engineering projects using its own experience as an operator."
Alain La Rocca, EDF Transmission Network Engineering Director
With our expertise in electrical systems and networks, we will help you overcome all of the electricity transmission challenges that you encounter in your power network projects in Africa.
- Evaluating existing infrastructure;
- creating network interconnections;
- electrifying new regions;
- introducing renewable energies into your energy mix, etc.
- Implementing your investment plans (feasibility studies, network studies, master plans);
- Supervising construction and commissioning;
- Providing after-sales support to optimise upgrades to your facilities.
2 • Transmission Network
With our Transmission Network expertise, we will help you develop and optimise your transmission assets. Our knowledge of the continent, reliability and innovation are our guiding principles.
- Developing and optimising your electricity transmission infrastructure, lines, cables and production stations;
- Whatever the technical requirements (e.g. overhead, underground or land/sea-based networks) and the specificities of your project (scale, environment, alternating or direct current).
- Providing personalised support (facility assessment, recommendations to optimise network performance);
- Designing networks located in difficult environments (from feasibility studies to construction and after-sales supervision).
3 • Dispatching and Telecontrol
Dispatching and telecontrol are essential for running an efficient electricity transmission network. Our expertise will be there to support you in the roll-out of your information and coordination centres on the American continent.
- Setting up a dispatching system and/or an operational information and coordination centre to ensure optimal network management.
- National and regional electricity distribution;
- Remote management via special telecommunications systems;
- Designing, supervising and delivering coordination centres and telecontrol systems;
- Employing the appropriate technologies (EMS, DMS, SCADA, etc.).
4 • Direct Current Links
High-Voltage Direct Current (HVDC) links are a cutting-edge technology for electricity transmission systems and networks. With our HVDC expertise, we will help you tackle all of your large-scale projects in Africa that require very high voltage direct-current networks.
Setting up large-scale electricity infrastructure:
- offshore wind farms;
- large dams;
- networks spread over protracted distances (with hundreds of kilometres of lines), etc.
- Designing appropriate solutions using HVDC technology;
- Setting up stable, powerful and reliably efficient networks.
5 • Production Site Connection and Evacuation
Every electricity transmission system needs proper power evacuation and an optimal connection between production sites and transmission networks in order to function efficiently.
Your challenges on the continent:
- Reliably and efficiently connecting your production stations to the electricity transmission network;
- Evaluating and selecting the appropriate connection and evacuation plans in terms of cost and operation.
- Designing the optimal solution for your project, your budget and your technical requirements;
- Constructing and supervising connection and evacuation infrastructure.
Back to top